The latest NHS Annual Report provides some interesting facts that don’t always make it into the mainstream media. For example:
- The number of claims made in 2018 was just over 10,000, down from 12,000 in 2013.
- Only 54% of claims made result in the payment of compensation.
- 40% of successful claims are worth under £25,000.
- 40% settle for between £25,000 and £100,000.
- 20% settle for over £100,000.
- Claimants legal costs are down 6%.
So, there is no increase in claims, half fail and of the rest, just under half go for under £25,000. Enforcing your legal rights when something goes wrong is not bankrupting the NHS. Don’t always believe this myth that we are in the midst of a ‘Compensation Culture’.
Hilton Armstrong, June 2019