The latest NHS Annual Report provides some interesting facts that don’t always make it into the mainstream media. For example:
- The number of claims made in 2020 was just over 11,000 and virtually identical to the previous year and down from a high of 12,000 in 2013.
- About 60% of claims made result in the payment of compensation.
- If a case settles before court proceedings are started then the success rate is 50%.
- If proceedings have started this increases to about 80%.
- However if the case goes as far as a Trial the chances of success are only about 20%.
The figures are more or less in line with the previous year with one notable exception; Defendants are winning more cases at Trial. The number of cases going to Trial is the same (about 60) but the Claimant only won 13 as opposed to 22 the year earlier.
Hilton Armstrong – October 2020